November 27, 2011

Song Analysis- No Doubt "I'm Just A Girl"

The mid 90’s witnessed an emergence of the underground music scene which focused on social commentary most notably featuring the hardships of the black community evident in the east coast vs. west coast gangster rap, and apathetic angst-filled grunge rock. With the exception of R&B and dance pop, the music of the 90’s was male dominated but it wasn’t just the boys who had something to complain about.

No Doubt, a California based band released “I’m Just A Girl” in 1995, an upbeat ska sound, very different from the average gloomy grunge of of the time, written by singer, Gwen Stefani about her resentment for female stereotypes. The title of the song alone is packed with animosity. Rather than saying, “I’m a girl” which in reality embodies a variety of qualities, saying, “I’m just a girl,” is like trying to justify the classification of all women into one certain type. “Just” a girl is degrading. Simply using the word “just” in the title exemplifies how women are thought of as a “typical prototype.” The word “just” embodies Stefani’s sarcasm used throughout the song and the catchy tune demands to remain in your head.

The lyrics in the first verse introduce Stefani’s complaint that “this world is forcing me to hold your hand,” meaning that as a woman, she cannot be fully independent. The chorus is sarcastic, saying, “I’m just a girl, little ‘ol me/ Don’t let me out of your sight/ I’m just a girl, all pretty and petite/ So don’t let me have any rights.” Her sarcasm makes fun of the male notion of having to protect women as if they were all frail and fragile beings unable to fend for themselves.

“Oh...I’ve had it up to here!/ The moment that I step outside/ So many reasons/ For me to run and hide/ I can’t do the little things I hold so dear/ ‘Cause it’s all those little things/ That I fear.” These lyrics portray the warnings women constantly hear. Women are taught to be afraid of doing casual things alone because being female, according to men, somehow makes one more vulnerable to the supposed dangers of the world so women couldn’t possibly leave the house without the threat of trouble.

“I’m just a girl, I’d rather not be/ ‘Cause they won’t let me drive/ Late at night. I’m just a girl/ Guess I’m some kind of freak/ ‘Cause they all sit and stare/ With their eyes.” In an interview with BAM Magazine, Stefani said, “I wrote that because my dad got mad at me for going to Tony [Kanal, No Doubt bassist]'s house and driving home late at night. I mean, c'mon, I'm, like, going on 30 here! I wouldn't trade [being female], but I really don't think guys understand what a burden it can be sometimes.”

Throughout the rest of the song, Stefani states that girls are “typical prototypes” because “that’s all that you’ll let me be.” By the end, Stefani leaves sarcasm behind and calls out men with full force repeating, “I’ve had it up to here!” shouting along with the fast paced music like a pissed off girl who is done with being treated like a porcelain doll. The progression from a slow, catchy tune and relaxed, mocking voice to shouting, repeating, and faster music depict Stefani’s decrease in tolerence and she has finally exploded.

While American girls can easily identify with the song, No Doubt’s music video speaks more to the personal struggle Stefani has faced being the only female member of a rock band. The video begins with the band packing up cars to presumably go on tour with Stefani shown in the backseat between two band members. Further, the band is shown in a hotel where two rooms are separated by a wall. The men are packed in one room while Stefani is alone with two bodyguard-like maids in the other. Quick flashes of the rooms depict the symbolic differences between males and females. The men's room is a dark and gray restroom with urinals on the back wall and Stefani’s room is brightly colored and has beautiful bouquets of flowers and fruit baskets.

The men take out their equipment and begin playing together while Stefani sings alone. Eventually, the men's room becomes a party with dancing and socializing and Stefani remains alone until quick flashes of women applying make up appear and later join Stefani in her room. The video ends when both parties collide and men and women are playing music and dancing together.

In the male dominated music scene of the mid 90’s, especially within the rock genre, Stefani had faced the difficulty of being seen as an equal to men. “I’m Just A Girl” uses sarcasm to poke fun of the male-mindedness in rock, exposes women’s exasperation over gender stereotypes, and helped paved the way for future female rockers.

9 comments:

  1. Great Job, I need very much these type of informations, If you are finding more these type post than visit No Doubt Just A Girl mp3 downloads.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You should mainly superior together with well-performing material, which means that see it: dj booking agentur

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks this helped me a lot for my english hw

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm strictly speaking from a true independent movie perspective. Studio budget movies are an entirely different animal when it comes to the world of movie distribution.ffmovies

    ReplyDelete